Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Mum, I love you!


Yesterday was one of those ordinary days and out of it came a special, God given moment of closeness I shared with my son, Jacob.

We didn't leave the house all day due to rain, waiting on an online shopping delivery and a laundry beast!

Overall the kids were pretty well behaved, helped me put the shopping away and I even had Jacob help me fold his own laundry! He even enjoyed it, (I just need to encourage this new skill into his adult life!).

I managed to spend some quality time doing a massive dinosaur jigsaw with my number 1 son.

A pretty good day and then we all trekked up the stairs to put my baskets full of folded clothes away. I knew the day had been going too well because my tiny tearaways thought it was time they were causing some mischief! They couldn't be good all day surely?? I think I was expecting a little too much.

Cue using mum and dad's bed as a giant trampoline (who needs outdoor ones when you have your parents bed!). I don't mind this for a wee while but I expect obedience, especially after asking for the same thing several times. Do you ever get sick of the sound of your own voice??

The cheekiness was oozing out of Jacob after several other small misdemeanours. I had enough and he was disciplined by me removing his Ben 10 Top Trumps cards!
Not a happy young chappy! I ignored his bawling and we headed downstairs. So I go back to my laundry area and get stuck into more lovely, gorgeous, fun laundry, (it is honestly!). Then my little man comes through and says:

"Mum, I am sorry for my behaviour and I love you, can I have my Top Trumps cards back tomorrow?"

Well my heart just melted when he said this! I hugged him and thanked him for such a sincere apology. This display of maturity has really filled me with hope I just didn't have a few days ago. I just thought this was how it was going to be from now on, cheeky words, me tiring of telling him off and so on.

I have been praying to our Lord for help with disciplining but I just wanted to thank God for showing me that Jacob has been listening to everything we have been telling him about behaviour. I thank God for my beautiful, willful, intelligent little boy who is growing up way too fast! Thank you Lord for answering prayer and giving this small gift of hope.

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6.


6 comments:

  1. Told you that you were a wonderful mom!!! I also love that verse...it's one I held on to tightly while my teens were wandering in the wilderness.
    Blessings my friend!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWW! I love moments like this when you see the fruits of your labor!

    Thanks for the lovely comment you left on my At the Well post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great! Way to go Mom (or Mum for you). :o)

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh my goodness that is just one of the sweetest things ever! By him doing that it shows you are bringing him the way God wants and doing a great job! What a wonderful son you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very sweet! Thank you for sharing and for commenting on my blog.
    We also have that verse hanging prominently in our dining area on a picture of a train.
    Thank you again for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What are "cheeky comments?"
    What a sweet, honest moment. He is a handsome little one too! What a proud, relieving moment when the little ones you are training show that they are "getting it."

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to hear from my readers and I enjoy all you have to share!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin