Sunday 28 March 2010

Women in the Church

At the moment I feel very undecided about so many things which people would view as obedience to God. Mainly head covering in public worship and women praying in public worship.

I certainly don't take a legalistic, all or nothing stand. I know what the Bible says about both issues and I worry greatly about blurring the lines by using Grace as our excuse for interpreting the Bible the way we want to use it to suit us.

I know that in 1 Corinthians ch 14 33-35 that it clearly states women should not speak in Church. I think this refers to praying aloud and preaching, correct me if I am wrong!

In 1 Corinthians 11: 2-16 the head covering is discussed. To me it is quite clear that women should wear a covering during public worship services at Church. Again correct me if you think I am wrong! I know some people argue that hair is a covering.

What I am confused about is that if people say they believe the Bible is the God breathed, inspired word of our Lord then why would people then take important instructions such as these and interpret them as they view them?

There is inconsistency all around. Women pray aloud in some meetings and not others, heads are covered in some and not other public meetings. It is more common to go to a Church in which women do take a leading role and do not cover their heads nowadays. I worry that the roles of men and women become confused and hazy.

People also say it is a personal thing between God and your relationship with Him but are we not asked to admonish each other in love? Colossians 3:16.

Covering your head is also such a public act and very visible in Church and I wonder if it sometimes can create divisiveness in Church between those who do and don't. At the moment I do not cover my head. I did for a very little while but then questioned my motives and stopped. Of course my salvation is the most important issue but if I want to live my life in obedience to God then surely I should be doing this?

What are your views on these issues? I would be interested to hear from women and men on these issues. My main worries are watering down Scripture, division in Church and changing for changes sake.

4 comments:

  1. I don't believe that a woman should teach or pray over men. I believe a woman can do both over women just not me. The head role is of the man. I am not sure how I feel about the head coverings. No one at my church does it but I know some of the most Godly women there. Not sure?

    It is good to see you or read you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an urgent prayer request on arise 2 write.
    Hugs, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've said before that I cover my head and also Women are not permitted to pray/preach at our services.
    However... that is simply how it is done in Strict Baptist chapels and so how I've been brought up. I can see the biblical reasons for it and agree with them.
    I did have an interesting conversation with my sister recently, talking about if we were to go to a distant heathen land, would it be right for women to preach if there were no Christian men present to do so... and we thought YES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how I feel about this. I have never had my head covered and God has blessed me and used me for His purposes.

    I was also the Prayer Coordinator for 7 years.

    I never want to sin against my Lord. I never want to grieve His Spirit. I don't know what to say.

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to hear from my readers and I enjoy all you have to share!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin