Saturday 17 July 2010

Submission is not easy!

Lately I am finding that submission is not at all easy! It is easy for me to quote scripture and talk about how I want to follow this but in reality it is hard.

All is fine and well if there is something I am not wanting to participate in or a decision I am unhappy with in our household and I get my way. I can act a little spoilt at times and use my feminine wiles to have my hubby change his mind. (totally wrong I know and something I am working on!).

However, when there is something my husband is really not happy to do, or a decision he doesn't agree with and I am tugging the other way then I find myself rebelling even more!!

I think I know best, try to convince, offer compelling arguments and sometimes go in the huff (wrong I know and another thing I am working on!!). Why would he not be right? How can I be a good submissive wife when I am doubting his decision and even if it is wrong, not supporting him in this???

So whether right or wrong I should be obedient towards my husband and what he ultimately decides is best for our family and lives. He does allow me to have an opinion of course and quite often takes this on board and even changes his mind. After all wives and husbands are commanded the following;

"Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Saviour. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Husbands,love your wives , just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself asaradiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself." (Ephesians 5:22-28 NIV, emphasis mine).

I don't think real biblical submission means that I should try to convince and put my own selfish motives above his. I think that I should be obedient even when I think my husband maybe is wrong (of course that may just be my opinion and ultimately he could be very right!).



1 comment:

  1. I think it's more then just being right or wrong. My husband gives me a bad time saying that I'm the one who wears the pants in the family - I don't mean to, I'm just a control freak.

    I think of marriage as a partnership, neither is going to be right or wrong all of the time. I don't feel one is more superior then the other, we should work as a team.

    I have always had a hard time with that scripture, so much I would not have the word obey in my wedding vows. Our pastor preached on the scripture on Sunday and I wish I could recall it better. He had a very positive take on it. Really wish I could remember his wording. Hum...maybe I should take notes.

    Anyway, good post. I have the same feeling you do, especially when God wants me to submit to something I don't want to do.

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to hear from my readers and I enjoy all you have to share!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin