Monday 26 October 2009

Are you content?


Today I read this encouraging article by Michelle from She Looketh Well. If you are experiencing discontentment in any areas of your life today then I would urge you to read her article written over At the Well.

Michelle asks her readers to think about areas in their own lives which they are not content with, how God is revealing this and how do you turn these feelings around.

"Contentment, then, is the product of a heart resting in God. It is the soul's enjoyment of that peace which passeth all understanding. It is the outcome of my will being brought into subjection to the Divine will. It is the blessed assurance that God doeth all things well, and is, even now, making all things work together for my ultimate good. This experience has to be "learned" by "proving what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God" (Rom. 12:2). Contentment is possible only as we cultivate and maintain that attitude of accepting everything which enters our lives as coming from the Hand of Him who is too wise to err, and too loving to cause one of His children a needless tear." A.W. PINK

Upon reading this I think God is showing us that contentment needs to be learned and prayed for. I was dissatisfied with some things before I was a Christian and still today as a Christian. I did not automatically become deeply content with life. It is part of our sinful nature to want, envy, and covet. These elements of our nature do not just disappear overnight. To be content is a state of mind we strive towards and actively endeavour to achieve.

There are many things which leave me feeling less than content in my life. I always think I could do with a larger house, maybe I should be working outwith my home for extra money, I compare myself to other "better" Christians, I need to be a better, more Christian mum and so on! I am sure we all share many of these feelings of discontent!

I wonder sometimes if Satan stirs up these feelings inside of us? Feelings of envy and bitterness can lead to divisions in Church. Materialistic wants can lead to debt problems and this can then lead on to marital trouble.

So how can we learn to be content with what we have?

God's word directs us and we should read this and pray for his enlightenment. I actively look for the blessings in my life to distract myself from what I don't have. I have two healthy, beautiful children (although one is a little sick today!). I have my health. I have a perfectly adequate home with room for us all. I think we get way too caught up on the size of our homes. When you look to under developed countries and the conditions many people have to live in then I think I should be ashamed of myself when I am not happy with the size of my kitchen or how many bedrooms I have. At least I have a bed to sleep in and a roof over my head. So many people don't.

I sacrificed working and having extra money to stay at home and raise my children and keep my home. My children are never without clothing, footwear or food despite money being very tight some weeks! God always provides! It is not always easy to be content as a stay at home mum. Often I think I could be working and earning some money to contribute to the bills however, the effects this would have on my family would just not be worth it. They are used to having me at home and this is the way God wants my life to be just now. I am learning to be content with what God wants for my family at this moment in life.

So what areas of your life are you not content with? How do you work on this?

Feel free to link up with us At the Well.



8 comments:

  1. I loved the quote you posted. It helped me today. I apply it to disasters that could happen, being in the hands of others, and miraculously escaping real harm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to print up that quote. Thanks for joining in! Aren't we so blessed and most days don't even know it?! I have started a gratitude journal just recently, I just posted about it this weekend.

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found that I am most discontent when I take my eyes off God and start looking around. If my focus is right I don't seem to struggle as much. This is a great post. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Collette,

    Our church has been doing a study for the last few weeks in learning how to be content with what God provides for us. We've have learned since our experience last year of doing without a lot of things and not sure if we were going to make it through another month, changed our perspective on quite a few things. For now, we trust each day to God to provide just what we need to get through the day.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, satan certainly stirs up discontent. If he can keep us unhappy, then he can get us into worldly things as we seek some type of fulfillment that ONLY comes from Jesus.

    Great word!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great post Collette! The swine flu has hit here pretty hard. As bad as we've been told that it is, our kids here seem to recover pretty quickly. Schools just have to take those extra special measures and our school hosts the carnival. I don't know what was up with no trick or treators. Maybe this Sat. we will have some since it is Halloween. This may sound very stupid, but do yall celebrate Halloween?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has been a really awful week and I always tend to focus on that and I know that I shouldn't. I've been trying to remember that God will get me through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I'm trying to be content about loosing my gift cards. I lost $150.00 worth of grocery gift cards that I bought. ugh. In general, I have been very content, which is not necessarily a picture of my godliness--just that God is blessing us so much.

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to hear from my readers and I enjoy all you have to share!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin