Wednesday 7 October 2009

Just a mum?

Do you ever feel like you are "just a mum"? That you don't serve God enough at Church and feel guilty about it?

I remember feeling like this not long after I had Jacob. All around I saw people serving God in many ways and felt guilty for not doing the same. I made the mistake of comparing myself to all those around me.

Colin reminded me that serving God as a mother was one of the ultimate ways of obeying God. During that time of my life being "just a mum" is all that God wanted for me. To commit to anything else just wasn't possible. Raising a child is one of the most challenging things you will ever do in your life! God blesses you with this little being who is helpless at first and utterly dependent upon you for EVERYTHING. As they grow they become a little more and more independent but still you are there to train, discipline, love and give them that little push when necessary.

Of course we should aim to serve the Lord in all we do and it is not just about how much we do at Church and for the Church. This is very important but we have a responsibility to our homes and families also. It is only over the last few years that I have felt finally able to take on a whole lot more at Church. I no longer feel overwhelmed at the prospect of serving God in the Church and at home. I think I have a healthy balance between the two.

I remember reading something about missionary work and how your first job as a missionary should be with your children and teaching them about the Lord. I really understand this and agree that it is vital we teach our own children wholeheartedly about Jesus. This should not be neglected.

So today if you feel that you are "just a mum" and unhappy at the prospect of this, please remember that this is where God wants you to be right now. He blessed you with a child or children and you have a God given role to nurture and protect those little ones. It is the most amazing, challenging thing you will ever do in your life. You are a mum so be proud of yourself!!!

Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him.
Psalm 127:3


5 comments:

  1. Hey, Collette, just popping in to let you know that "yes, zucchinis are courgettes" (Who knew?) So my recipe would work fine for you.

    P.S. When I first became a SAHM I struggled with the "what do you do?" question. Now I respond that I am fortunate enough to stay home with my children...the best job ever. Modern society just doesn't value parenting and that is a darned shame.

    P.P.S. Love your blog background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right again. Serving your family and children that God gave you- if that's where He's placed you, that's where he wants you. I'm not just a mum, I'm a mum! You are too.
    Celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ♥ this. I love being a mom, and feel so blessed to be at home with my children. Can't wait til we can all go out and serve God together in the community! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Just wanted to stop by and tell you thanks for being so faithful to comment on my blog. I am so much more busy these days and don't have much time to blog and read. I would love to read this post and will....time permitting. I have a full plate today too, but wanted to stop by and send you good wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this post! It is a great reminder and something I need to remember ever so often! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to hear from my readers and I enjoy all you have to share!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin