Tuesday 25 August 2009

Grumpy? Me? No!

Do you ever get the feeling it is going to be one of those days?? The kids got out of the wrong side of bed this morning. They have both been very grumpy and argumentative. Fighting over the most ridiculous of things (the name of Peppa Pig). Jacob declared he was still tired and wanted to go back to bed (this never happens!) so off he trotted upstairs. Emma began howling that she wanted to do the same! She is her big brother's shadow at the moment. I wouldn't let her go upstairs and she was not impressed. True to form, Jacob arrived back downstairs 2 minutes later. He must have taken a power nap!!!

I have given in and put the TV on for a little bit of calm! I have felt their crankiness rub off on me this morning and became fully aware that my day can go one way or the other. I can become Mrs Crank and scowl a lot or I can pray and ask for strength for the day!

13I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13 NIV.

Just because the kids are grumpy doesn't mean mum needs to be grumpy! I have a choice and need to remember this. All too often I have fallen into the trap of allowing my mood to dictate the mood of the day and I really want it to stop. So today I am going to be the example to the kids as much as I can and show them how God can strengthen us and answers prayer when we ask for His help. Children do find it harder to control their emotions than us adults and I would do well to remember that. I think sometimes I need to focus on who is the adult and who are the children in this relationship of mother and kids!!!

4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:4-7 NIV.



7 comments:

  1. Collette..I could have written this post too! So many things you write can apply to myself!! You express it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the first commenter! I find it hard not to be grumpy when the kids are because it is like if one is grumpy then they all are but what is the point of me becoming grumpy? Then we all just have a grummy day and what am i teaching the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Collette, I know exactly how you feel in this post. Luckily today, my girls are having a pretty good morning as I write this. But my little one is watching a little tv, while she is waking up for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this post today. We have a storm brewing in the family right now and I really needed to be reminded of those scriptures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Collette,

    This just rung a bell for me! Too often I criticize my childs actions or attitude and fail to control my own. Just because I am the parent doesn't make me any more right about my own actions and attitudes. Today I will lead by example and hope they too will follow me.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it's amazing how I may expect my kids to control their words or tone of voice, but I might be wronging them in my own actions or tone of voice!

    The irony of this doesn't escape me, lol! Glad you are choosing to go God's way instead of your own way, we need to make that choice daily (sometimes hourly, lol!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can remember a time or two when my girls were younger, that it was tempting to be a child with them!

    Thanks for this great post - as always!

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to hear from my readers and I enjoy all you have to share!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin