Saturday 1 August 2009

Psalm Saturday


13 The Lord is like a father to his children,
tender and compassionate to those who fear him.
14 For he knows how weak we are;
he remembers we are only dust.
15 Our days on earth are like grass;
like wildflowers, we bloom and die.
16 The wind blows, and we are gone—
as though we had never been here.
17 But the love of the Lord remains forever
with those who fear him.
Psalm 103: 13-17 NLT(New living translation).


There are so many things that can be said about these wonderful verses. God has given me more of an insight into his love for us through verse 13.



13 The Lord is like a father to his children,
tender and compassionate to those who fear him.


As mums and dads we all love our children unconditionally. We love them when they are good or bad. We forgive bad behaviour after disciplining them. My love for my kids is all consuming, I would do anything for them; I would throw myself in front of a bus to save them from harm! It is such an intense feeling I never experienced until I had children.

God's love for us is the same! He loves us more than anything, we are his children, he forgives us for our sinful past. He would do ANYTHING for us! He gave Jesus so that we could be forgiven for our sins.


12 This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. 13 There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command.
John 15: 12-14 NLT.


I know that I need to teach my children how to live, they are weak and need guidance, comfort, leadership and understanding. Isn't it wonderful that we have a God who views us in this way also?

Verse 14 reminds me of a chorus I sing with the kids at bedtime;

Jesus loves me this I know,
For the Bible tells me so,
Little ones to him belong,
They are weak but he is strong,
Yes, Jesus loves me, yes, Jesus loves, yes, Jesus loves me for the Bible tells me so.

As verses 14 and 15 remind us, God created us and gives life and takes life away. He knows us inside out, warts and all! Yet he loves us!

We should be eternally grateful for his forgiveness, Grace, and Mercy which demonstrate his love for us. God wants nothing more than for us to come to him, through Jesus and ask for forgiveness of our sin and accept his Son, Jesus as our saviour. He wants us to follow his unchanging word with fear of Him. Not the kind of scary, frightened fear, but a reverence, respect of who God is, his awesome nature, his mighty power, the amazing gift he gave us of Jesus.

I hope you have enjoyed these verses as much as I have!

Collette xxx

8 comments:

  1. I love those verses you shared!!! I really enjoy reading your Psalm Saturday posts! They are so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Collette,

    Love your post today! It's time we see ourselves the way God does, without all the physical and emotion imperfections that we do. God sees each one of us as unique and perfect, just the way He made us.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think most of us remember that song from when we were little, I know my kids do too.

    I am thankful that He is like a Father to us, because He could have chosen to be something else. We don't deserve it but I am thankful for His love!

    BTW, they don't know my weight, just my age as I listed my birthday. But you're right, sometimes we give to much information on those things, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just blog hopping this morning and and found these great verses... to Have a Happy Saturday!

    http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wanting to link up for Psalm Saturday and did today, a bit late and lacking details, but its a start and shows my heart. :) http://snipssnailsandpuppydogstails.blogspot.com/2009/08/psalm-saturday-psalm-631-7-niv.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Collette! I love the book of Psalms!

    Thank you for sharing God's Word.

    Love!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job Collette. I thought about your heart as I was reading this post. You really to do have a heart for our Lord and want others to know who He really is. How our world would be so different if everyone knew God as He is!

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to hear from my readers and I enjoy all you have to share!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin